Last week the Colts surprisingly pounded the #3 seed Sayville Golden Flashes 37-6 in the Semi Finals of the Division 3 Suffolk County playoffs. The offense was dominant once again, led by Justin Brown and Deyvon Wright, who combined for 4 of the Colts 5 touchdowns on the afternoon. The defense continued their late season stellar play in giving up less than 10 points for the fifth straight game. This Saturday 11/18 the Colts battle the undefeated Westhampton Beach Hurricanes in the Suffolk County Championship and earlier this week I caught up with Coach Madden to hear what he had to say:
Another dominant performance for your group last Saturday. How pleased are you by your teams execution of the game plan?
- They came out and executed the game plan to perfection. We dominated , especially on defense from beginning to end and it was a super effort by everyone.
You had Sayville last week, who gave your team problems in the regular season and now you battle undefeated Westhampton Beach in the Suffolk County Championship. What will your squad have to do to hand them their first loss?
- I think that we are going to have to be very physical especially with their best players. We’re a team that has grown since the last time we played them and I think we’re much tougher physically and mentally. Hopefully we show up again on Saturday.
You guys had 2 home games to start the playoffs and now move over to Stony Brook for the Suffolk County Championship. How heavily do you rely on your older, more experienced leaders in a game like this?
- We definitely rely on them heavily. This our fourth time in a row getting to Stony Brook so someone like Jimmy Regatiero, who I brought up as a freshman, is now going to Stony Brook for his fourth time. The guys at this point treat it like another away game so we should be fine in that type of atmosphere.
I spoke with Jimmy Regatiero before practice last Thursday about his role as a team captain and motivator and he said it was actually quite easy to motivate these guys because they are already motivated themselves. Do you see that on the practice field and in game?
- You know at times I do. It was a little bit of a process to get these guys to all buy in and put their egos aside but that’s with every team. Although this team took a little bit more time, the last 5 weeks have been great and hopefully we can finish strong.
What are your feelings about you team right now? Do you feel something magical about this group that leads you to believe that they could win a Suffolk County Championship and maybe even a Long Island Championship?
- Yes, at times I do. Last week against Sayville there were some great things that some kids were doing. Some kids were stepping up big time and that’s the kind of thing that is important in a magical run. In 2009 we were 12-0 and if we want that type of success then we’re gonna have to have guys step up and play out of their minds.
Students and fans be sure to come out and support the Colts as they battle Westhampton Beach, Saturday at 12pm at Stony Brook University. Admission is $6 and worth every penny. See you there and Go Colts!!