Last Saturday the Colts soared past a less skilled and out matched Eastport-South Manor squad in a 63-6 blowout on the Hills West turf. This week the Colts battle to #3 seed Sayville in a must see matinee. In their last meeting the Colts defense struggled as Sayville put up 40 points on their way to a 40-27 victory over the Colts. The Colts will look for some revenge in this game and I sat down with Coach Madden to preview the much anticipated battle.
Obviously you must be pleased after last weeks 63-6 win over Eastport-South Manor. How can your team carry that play over into game two against a much tougher opponent?
- I think the first time we played Sayville we weren’t aligned as a team. I don’t think we had the chemistry that we have today and I think last week, regardless of the opponent, was really good. We had great preparation all week and our guys played really well in the game and hopefully it will be the same thing this week.
As you mentioned, in game 5 of the season your team battled Sayville in a high scoring 40-27 loss. What will your team have to do differently in this game to get a better result?
- We definitely have to control their passing game. Their quarterback is unbelievable and he’s had a great season. Sayville is a team that will never give up due yo their long tradition of excellence so we have to make sure that we match their resiliency. We have to be as resilient as them and understand that there will be ups and downs in the game.
I imagine you don’t want to get onto a shootout with Sayville this week. Will there be a concerted effort on your teams part to run the ball and control the clock?
- We’re a running team and there’s some things that we didn’t have the last time we played Sayville. Deyvon (Wright) did’t play so this time we’ll do what we do which is run the ball and throw for first downs and touchdowns.
As you stated, the running game is extremely important. Having 2 game changing running backs in Deyvon Wright and Justin Brown, how have they been able to work off of each other and keep defenses off balance? And how much of their success do you attribute to the play of your offensive line?
- It all goes up to the offensive line and our tight ends along with our halfbacks who do a great job blocking win the perimeter. Also our wide receivers have really stepped up their game as far as their blocking is concerned. Another positive is that when either Justin or Deyvon get tired we have a guy who can come in with fresh legs and be just as effective which really helps. It’s a two-headed monster and we hope it continues this week.
Clearly your defense has gelled together down the stretch only allowing 13 points in the last 4 games. How will they be able to stop Sayville’s high-powered offense?
- Hopefully we can do a good job tackling them as soon as they catch the ball or run through a hole. Hopefully we can get more pressure on the quarterback (Jacob Cheshire) and we have to contain some of their best players but I think overall our defense has played very well this year and the last game against Sayville was just an enigma but hopefully we’ll continue to play well this week.
Game 2 of the 2017 division 3 playoffs will be Saturday at 1pm on the Hills West turf. Come out and support the Colts as hey look to advance to the next round!
If you can’t make it to the game check out our live stream on Youtube @ WestTV (search Hills West Roundup) and subscribe!!