The Hills West Colts jumped out to an early 21-0 lead Wednesday night under the lights at Rocky Point and never looked back in route to a decisive 45-20 win. The offense was led by Devon Wright who rushed for 4 touchdowns behind a powerful and cohesive offensive line. Earlier this week I sat down with Coach Madden for his weekly spot and here’s how it went:
I understand Wednesday nights win was the 100th of your career. Congratulations! What does it mean to you?
- It just means that we have had a lot of guys and parents and school administrators buy into the philosophy of the Hills West football team. I couldn’t be prouder for all of the guys who played for me over the years.
Your team has scored 95 points since the Westhampton loss. I guess your message was received loud and clear?
- I think we’re using a lot of guys to the best of their ability and I think we’re really keeping people off balance with the different things that we’re doing.
In your teams 45-20 win at Rocky Point last week, you got off to a quick start by scoring 21 points in the first quarter. How important is it for your team to start strong?
- I think it’s important. It gives our players confidence right away and gives the defense a quick lead which allows us to open it up. High school football is a game of momentum and getting it fast and early is important.
This week you face 3-1 Sayville. What do they do well and is there anyone on their roster who stands out to you?
- They’re very well coached and they have a great tradition. They expect to win every single game. I think their two inside linebackers are very good and so is their quarterback (Jacob Cheshire). Their receivers number 34 (James Lyons) and number 1 are very good so we’re going to have to have a good game plan that’s going to use our players effectively. To win this week we’re going to have to execute.
Do you care to weigh in on the anthem protests that we’re seeing this season in the NFL? What are your thoughts?
- No not really. I mean people have to do what they feel is necessary but I don’t really have much to say about it.
Thanks again Coach and good luck this weekend.
The team is on tear since the disappointing Week 2 loss to Westhampton and they look to continue their stellar play on the road this Saturday against a tough Sayville squad. Both teams are 3-1 entering the contest. Game time is 2pm. Come on out and support our Colts!
Assistant Sports Editor